Monday, October 26, 2015

Five Steps to Happiness

What excuses do we give ourselves when it comes to being happy?

  • I'll be happy when I have a job.
  • I'll be happy when I own my own home.
  • I'll be happy when I'm married.
  • I'll be happy when I have my own car.
  • I'll be happy when I pay off my bills.
  • I'll be happy when I can go on vacation.
  • I'll be happy when I can visit my family.
  • I'll be happy when...
There's always a "next step" to being happy and before we know it, we're looking back on our lives and wondering what we did with our time.  A cousin of mine posted a video on Facebook and it was a fairly quick segment with Pastor T.D. Jakes where he talks to Steve Harvey about taking five steps to achieving happiness.  How do we equate this to major and career exploration?

Step 1:  Own Your Own Happiness
YOU know what you like to do and what you're good at doing.  YOU know what classes you enjoy. YOU picture your dreams and goals.  YOU have choices when it comes to majors and careers.  Own up to all of that and take the steps necessary to discover something you can commit to for the rest of your life.  Or at least gain the valuable skills employers are looking for regardless of your major.

Step 2:  Challenge Your Story
This is similar to reevaluating yourself.  Every once in a while take a step back and look into your life and choices from an outside point of view.  Challenge yourself and your choices.  You'll know you're on the right path when you enjoy your classes and the subject area.  You can also challenge your story by using major and career resources to help guide you through the process and either help you find a major or reinforce what you've already decided upon.

Step 3:  Enjoy the Journey
Learning is constant.  You will be doing that throughout your life so enjoy the journey of self discovery.  Don't wait to celebrate when you've accomplished the big stuff.  Celebrate the small accomplishments.  Go shopping, hiking, or eat junk food!  Just celebrate along the way.

Step 4:  Make Relationships Count
This is important in our personal lives but also in our college and professional lives.  Networking is extremely helpful when it comes to obtaining a reference for a scholarship or internship and finding a job once you've completed your degree.  Make those connections count!

Step 5:  Balance Work with Play
Too much of one thing can be detrimental.  Of course you'll want to work hard in college to accomplish the goals of obtaining a degree but you also need some down time.  Take a break.  Do something fun.  Whatever that means to you.

Happiness is different for everyone.  If you're taking the time to research and discover who you are, what you like, and what you want in life, you'll be more productive in your educational process.  Find your happy place and enjoy the ride! 


No comments:

Post a Comment