Monday, November 9, 2015

I can see clearly now...

I had to get new glasses the other day because my prescription had changed enough to warrant some new specs.  I am nearsighted.  Which means I can't see far away.  Things are blurry and squinting doesn't really clear things up.  But now, according to my doctor, I am also farsighted.  Which means I can't read with my glasses on and when I take them off, I have to put my book (or phone) near my face to read.  Needless to say, I'm struggling right now.  Picture that cute little old lady who looks over her glasses to read a piece of paper or that patient old man who has glasses that help him see both near and far.  I'm not cute nor am I patient so having to play "sneak a look over my glasses while I'm trying to get a student's "S" number off of their student ID card" has been frustrating.  I usually fall off the deep end when my spouse or children stick their smart phones right in front of my face and say, "Look at this!"  And I slowly (while glaring at them) push their hand and phone back because I CAN'T SEE!

Don't we feel that way about major and career exploration sometimes?  Sometimes we see clearly and we feel like we know what major we want to study but then something happens to make everything blurry.  And we're searching for something new, something different, something CLEAR.  Or maybe we have absolutely no clue what we want to major in and what career path we want to follow.  When I was in college, I sought help from an advisor but guess what?  That advisor was no help at all.  I knew there were resources that could help me find a major and career but I didn't know who to ask or maybe HOW to ask for help.  So I stumbled in the dark, my path blurry, until I took some classes that made me interested in media.  With my experiences, I seek to assist students in the major and career exploration process so they have the correct "prescription" and will be able to see the path in front of them.  The resources are endless when it comes to major and career exploration but I would recommend starting with those offered at Salt Lake Community College.  Start with the Major and Career Discovery Series.  A free online course (you are not graded!) that can clear your pathway and at least help you start that self discovery process.  If you are still unsure, make that small investment and take the Myers Briggs Type Indicator and Strong Interest Inventory assessments.  It may not give you an exact major, but it will surely narrow down your ideas or reinforce ideas you already had brewing in your mind.  Like a new glasses prescription, the resources and assessments offered at the college can help you see clearly so you are no longer squinting at your future.  Get back to 20/20 vision and meet with an Academic and Career Advisor soon to obtain valuable resources and information on major and career exploration.

The greatest magnifying glasses in the world are a man's own eyes when they look upon his own person.



No comments:

Post a Comment