Monday, April 18, 2016

On the path of life……………

As an avid outdoor enthusiast and lifelong daredevil, I find myself in various risky and new situations.  Often, I find the activities I pursue are a lot like one’s pursuit of academic achievement here at Salt Lake Community College. 

Typically, my various friends with whom I share adventures have different levels of expertise depending on the activity we’re doing.  Various hiking or climbing friends are the proverbial type A personalities who say “this way, hike here.”  Or, “follow this trail.”   I find that because we are all shapes, sizes, ages, lengths and whatever qualifier one might add, our precise trails may differ.  It really doesn’t matter as we proceed to the same general destination.  When the trail or the route up a mountain or down a slot canyon, however, gets progressively sketchy, there are certain steps or handholds one must watch for, and hopefully take advantage of to enable one to make the next step or reach the next hand hold.  In some instances, you won’t make it there from where you are unless you follow precise instructions.

I find this to be the case in one’s studies as well.  American educational system relishes choice.  Often international or younger students want precise direction.  Academic advisors, nevertheless, explain that one has so much liberty to choose what they want to take within the general education options as long as each category is fulfilled.  Go at your own pace, make your own path, as long as at the end you have completed all of the various requirements, you’ll all reach the end goal.  As you near the end of your journey, however, there are various precise steps to take – certain prerequisites – to reach the next step.  Additionally, there are certain steps without which you cannot make the next step toward the end. 

When I was younger, I was happy to follow others’ paths.  We were all going to the same end so it didn’t matter.  As I’ve progressed, I know where I want to go and make sure I investigate the planned route as much as possible prior to setting out on the adventure.  Thus, when I reach perceived pitfalls, I’ll be prepared with skills or equipment to enable the next step in the process.  The more familiar you are with your program or your route, the more planning you make on your own; the more invested one is in his or her plans, the more likely that person will reach the set goals, much more than the person who is waiting for someone else to show them or carry them.  In those cases, you may not get to where you want to go as it depends on someone else. 

Lee Martinez
June 24, 2015

Lee is the Business advisor at SLCC with the Academic & Career Advising office.  His background includes work with state and local government and within higher education.  His lunar New Year animal is a Tiger and as you can see, he has a lot of energy and grit!  Thank you, Lee, for contributing to the blog!





No comments:

Post a Comment