Monday, November 21, 2016

Humans of SLCC #3


I haven’t really had that easy of a life. My mom only had her high school diploma but she encouraged us to do good at school. She had a hard time holding down a job due to being a single mom of 3 children who weren’t always in the best of health. When I was about 9 my mom had me and my two younger siblings move in with my aunt. I lost faith in my religion and had a hard time coping with the loss of my mother, but I knew I had to be strong for my brother (age 4) and sister (age 6).

My aunt never had children of her own so she was thrilled and terrified at the same time. Like my mom she encouraged us to excel in school. She even put me into an advanced class called ELP at my elementary school. I was a really bright kid and was getting more excited about growing up. I breezed through the rest of elementary and did pretty well in 7th and 8th grade. It wasn’t until 9th grade that I lost my motivation. I struggled through high school and after a traumatic experience I went through at the age of 16 I decided to move back in with my mom in Washington.

My motivation came back ever so slightly and I started to plan for college. I was planning on enrolling into Seattle Community College when some unexpected events happened and my mom, sister, and I moved back to Utah. I dropped my plans for college and focused on work and providing for my family.

After I lost my job I had a choice…. Work another crap job for some crap money and get nowhere in life or just take a huge leap and enroll in college. The choice was pretty obvious to me, but unfortunately some people didn’t agree. I admit it’s been a struggle to get back into the swing of things, but I’ve created a plan thanks to some of our lovely Academic Advisors, shout out to Michelle and LuAnn!!!!


I’m excited for life again and can’t wait to see what is in store for me!

Introducing our new work study student, Anastasia!  She will be helping with our #100daysSLCC campaign so when you see her with the Button Bar, stop by and say hello.  Anastasia was originally planning on becoming an elementary school teacher but has changed her mind.  She's taken the Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) and Strong Interest Inventory (SII) along with completing the interpretations and is working through her own major and career exploration process.  She is also training in our career resources so she can answer your questions.  Welcome, Anastasia, to SLCC!

No comments:

Post a Comment