Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Choices and More Choices

I've had several students in the past few months who are undecided on a major and simply can't make a choice.  They've taken the Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) assessment, they know their personality and careers that match, they've completed some research, but they just can't pin it down.  Or maybe they don't want to?  At some point, we have to overcome our fears and just pick SOMETHING.  Personally, I can offer many resources but at the end of the day, I can't make the choice for another person.  And I'm afraid that's what some students want.  They want someone to just tell them what to do, who to be, what to study, what classes are the best.  But it's not that easy.  It's not black and white.  It's not crystal clear.  It's a process.  And a process takes time, energy, research, and yes, even some soul searching.

My spouse is going through this process right now.  He's looking at changing careers.  A complete turnaround to what he's been doing for the past 20 years.  And it's scary.  The thought of going into something where you don't know if you'll be successful or even like the field is intimidating.  I get that.  I completely understand.  From someone who has never worked in her field of study, I know.  But I took what I learned from my degree, and I used it to my advantage.  And yes, I'm happy with my choice but it was definitely a journey, to say the least.  With my spouse, the biggest worry is monetary.  He would have to take a significant pay cut to pursue a career that he may or may not like.  But hey, he can always go back to his current field.  Right?

I tried areas in the past that matched with my personality.  Areas that are listed on my MBTI results. I did not take the MBTI assessment until I began my career in academic and career advising but if I had the results in the past, I might have made different decisions.  Or I may have gone down the same path.  It doesn't matter at this point.  The fact is I tried different things.  Some careers I liked for a while but then began to become disenchanted for various reasons.  Others I tried out of necessity but knew I would not stay very long, only as a matter of convenience.  I have a great story of "been there done that" and I'm sure students are going through these same scenarios.

Choosing a major and career path is not easy.  No one ever said it would be.  You have to work at it.  Try things out for size.  Be willing to change paths early and sometimes later on.  Know that any knowledge you gain in the process will manifest down the road in any career you pursue.  Knowledge is power.  That's the truth.  No matter which major and career you choose.  But please, choose something.  Soon.

Come visit us at the Resource Fairs going on this week at SLCC:
Wednesday, 9/7, West Valley Center, Main Lobby
Thursday, 9/8, Taylorsville Campus, Student Center  
Friday, 9/9, South City Campus, East Entrance Foyer

 


2 comments:

  1. It is true, choosing a major and career path is not easy. I also passed through this dilemma, but my wisdom guided me, and I took what came in my way without wasting my time on exploring. Though some career path was satisfying,i.e. OTA schools, some were not, but I gained rich knowledge and experience in my career journey, and what I gained will stay with me forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, franks ross! Experiencing different careers and professions is definitely part of the career journey. We learn from everything.

      Delete