Monday, October 17, 2016

Humans of SLCC (#1)

I was born in South Korea and emigrated to the United States at the age of six.  My sister came here first to learn English.  She came here when she was eight or nine and she came by herself.  Me, my brother, and my mom came to follow my sister.  My dad stayed in Korea to work and he was going back and forth.  He had his own business, he was an optician in South Korea so he had his own eye glass shop in my home town.  He gave that up, sold everything, and came here for the American dream, you know?  South Korea is a motherland, it's your roots, you know, like a tree.  You have your base then you have all these leaves that represent who you are but in order to be at the core of it, sometimes people don't see that, but the root keeps everything grounded, you know, stable.  All my family members and relatives are in South Korea, my grandma and we have a house there.  Whenever we want to go to South Korea we can just go.  All my mother's side is there, my dad's side is all there.  We try to keep close ties but it's hard, you know, especially when the economy goes bad, plane tickets are expensive so trying to go back and forth is hard.  We try to keep true to our roots.  I feel like you should keep the good in the culture and throw away the bad.  I try to keep the good aspects, the positive aspects.

He is currently undecided on a major but has the resources that can assist him with his major and career exploration journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment