Monday, October 24, 2016

Humans of SLCC (#2)



What is big on my mind right now?  Me being a gay Mormon.  On National Coming Out Day [2016] I posted this thing on Facebook about my coming out and the process.  So that’s been on my mind.  Also, I’m an activist.  What is my story?  I don’t know.  I love the college community.  I love the vibes of the school.  That students are learning, they’re growing, they’re challenging their thoughts, their way of life, and they are being vulnerable and especially in the Student Life and Leadership office, people are looking for opportunities to improve themselves.  And just to think that I can have a part or be a part of this monumental moment in people’s lives is fun and it’s cool.  So that’s the biggest reason why I came back.  I’ve been here and I’ve left and  I’ve come back and I’ve left and now I’m back again.  Yeah, I think that that’s the biggest thing is that college life is a time of change.  Being an activist I’m all about moving forward and progressive change, whether it’s policy or individual lives, it’s awesome to be a part of that.

Peter began his college studies at SLCC then transferred to Weber State University to complete his Bachelor's degree.  We met a few months ago to discuss some ideas for a Masters program that would incorporate activism, gender studies, and staying employed in higher education.  Although SLCC does not offer anything above an Associate's degree and does not normally advise for graduate programs, it's always great to see our students move beyond the college into higher level programs. If you are still wondering what program of study you should be focusing on, please meet with an Academic & Career Advisor today!  http://www.slcc.edu/academicadvising/index.aspx
 


No comments:

Post a Comment